Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Thurs. May 15

We began today by reviewing Final Presentations (bad TEDTalks) and looking over the rubric. Specifically, I want to emphasize the difference between the video presentations that you will be doing and the in-person presentations you are used to. I want you to be especially aware of your audience and how to keep them engaged. Also be aware of yourself as an audience member and attempt engagement with the video.
I will give you some class time to work on this--though it is likely that you will need to work outside of class to complete the project.

I also introduced our Twitter Narrative Review (in lieu of a final exam). There is a group component and an individual component, which again, I will give you time in class to work on--though be prepared to do work outside of class as well.

We reviewed the concept of the hypertext essay, comparing it to the traditional linear essay. We then performed a class exercise imagining how the Radiolab "War of the Worlds" podcast (a kind of audio linear essay) would look if it were turned into a hypertext essay.
Comparing and contrasting the different methods, you made some very smart observations: the linear essay was primarily focused on "deep focus" while the hypertext essay had a "wide focus." We talked about what this suggested about audience and you recognized that the linear essay would appeal to an audience that shares a similar focus/interest while the hypertext essay would be much better for a general academic audience, and much more likely to attract/maintain attention.

Assignment:
Continue work on your Twitter Narrative
Continue work on your Final Presentation

No comments:

Post a Comment